Contact Us for
a Free Consultation
Facelift Surgery in Cleveland, Ohio (Rhytidectomy)
Rhytidectomy in simple terms is known as facelift surgery in Cleveland, Ohio. Rhytidectomy is derived from two Latin words ‘rhytid’ meaning wrinkle and ‘ectomy’ meaning removal of; thus it literally means removal of wrinkles with surgery. Wrinkles can be due to heredity, age and other environmental factors. The rate of aging differs from person to person.
The decision to have a facelift rests with the individual. There is no fixed age or time to have a facelift. This can be performed on patients in their early thirties all up until the mid to late eighties. The best time to have a consultation for a facelift surgery at Cleveland Cosmetic Surgery is when you begin to feel like you are much older in appearance than you actually feel.
|Actual patient photos before and after Face Lift Surgery|
A facelift is a major surgical procedure, so surgical incisions and stitches are a normal part of the procedure. It is also impossible to remove all the wrinkles and folds of skin of the face. Your cosmetic surgeon will evaluate your skin condition and then make a decision regarding the removal of skin so that it is done safely. Drs. Diamantis and Goldschmidt will make sure that it is suitable for the facial contour and gives a rejuvenated, younger appearance. The facelift is not a miracle procedure it can only improve the wrinkled skin and jowls. The type of skin and the age of the patient affect the final results.
A facelift in Cleveland, Ohio does more than just improve the wrinkled skin and appearance of the skin of the face. It boosts the self-esteem of the person. Dr. Diamantis and Dr. Goldschmidt, at Cleveland Cosmetic Surgery, discuss after a complete evaluation of the skin, any other alternate or additional treatments that may be required. Other procedures that may be performed include any of the following:
- Eyelid lift surgery
- Forehead lift
- Facial implants
- Chemical peel
- Laser resurfacing
- Botox Cosmetic
- Lip enhancement
- Chin augmentation
- Fat Grafting
- Nose reshaping
- Liposuction /body contouring surgery
- A realistic approach is needed when opting for a facelift. The results depend on a lot other factors. It is impossible to state the actual period of time the affect will last as it depends on many factors. Some of the factors are as follows:
- Amount of skin removed
- Lifestyle issues such as diet, smoking, exercise etc.
- Type of skin
- Amount of sun and wind exposure previously
- Condition and texture of the skin
- Condition of the patient
- Healing ability
After the facelift surgery the aging process does not stop and the skin continues to age normally. This surgery just takes you back 7-10 years in time.
How is a Facelift Performed?
A facelift at Cleveland Cosmetic Surgery may be performed under general or IV Sedation in the office or in an outpatient surgical center setting. Following the procedure, the patient can return back home and resume their normal activities. The patient experiences minimal discomfort in the first week following the surgery. Following the cosmetic surgeon’s advice will give satisfactory results.
The facelift in Cleveland, Ohio begins with an incision by the surgeon in the area of the temple. The incision is just above and in front of the ear which continues around the lobe and circles around the ear, finally returning to the point of origin in the scalp. After raising the skin outward, the surgeon repositions and tightens the muscles and connective tissue lying underneath. Fat and excess skin is removed.
For men, the incision is made in such a way that it aligns to accommodate the natural beard lines. The incision in all the cases is generally placed in such a way that it falls in a natural crease of the face, hence it gets hidden and slowly fades over time.
After the trimming process, the incisions are closed with fine sutures or metal clips. This permits the surgery without shaving the hair from the site of incision. The facelift process may take from two to three hours, depending on the extent of the surgery. A little discomfort is expected when the surgery is performed with a combination of local anesthesia, mild sedatives, and mild intravenous anesthesia. Following the surgery, the surgeon applies a dressing to protect the incision site.
After Facelift Surgery
After the surgery, the bandages are placed about the head and face for up to 24 hours. The bandages and the area of incision should be kept dry until the removal of the sutures. Some form of discoloration and some swelling of face and eyelids are commonly expected after the surgery. The swelling is most notable on the second and third days after the surgery and diminishes in approximately 12-14 days.
Pain medications are prescribed by the surgeon to alleviate the pain. Any discomfort or significant pain that is not relieved with pain medications or bleeding, redness or drainage around incisions is to be reported to the surgeon. Some post-operative depression is expected after the surgery.
Extreme care is to be taken following the facelift surgery so as to avoid complications and to aid the healing process. Care should be taken for the following:
- Make-up can be applied only after 7-14 days following the surgery. Care should be taken to avoid applying the make-up on and around the site of incision.
- Hair coloring or stripping should be performed after the cosmetic surgeon gives permission.
- Hair styling procedures can be carried out only approximately after two weeks following surgery.
- Pulling of hair is to be avoided.
- Rough massage is to be avoided.
- Hair dryers, if used to be at low heat or at cool settings.
- Avoid wearing earrings until the sensation returns to the earlobes.
- Limit social activities.
- Avoid strenuous exercises for up to 4-6 weeks.
- Consult your surgeon for any advice or to get answers for post-surgical queries.
Risks of Facelift Surgery
All risks associated with the facelift surgery in Cleveland, Ohio will be discussed prior to the surgery. The risks associated with the surgery are as follows:
- Scarring is common and the surgeon will try his best to make these scars inconspicuous.
- Accumulation of blood under the skin, which will be removed by the surgeon.
- Appearance of minor crust on the incisions, which goes away on its own.
- Slight numbness around the ears, cheeks, and areas of incision.
- Infection on areas of incision
- Hair loss
- In very rare cases nerve damage
With new innovations and advanced techniques facelift surgery is safer with longer lasting results and giving a natural appearance to the face.
Look younger and feel better with Facelift Surgery at Cleveland Cosmetic Surgery. Our offices are conveniently located at Canton, Lakewood and Middleburg Heights.
To receive a free cosmetic consultation, call now at 216.227.FACE
click here to fill in the form.
Your privacy is important to us your information will be kept confidential and secure.